Skip to main content

tv   Fox News Sunday With Chris Wallace  FOX  January 31, 2016 9:00am-10:00am EST

9:00 am
disagreed -- >> you don't get 30 seconds. >> today, senator cruz is here for round two. >> i know you like to argue about the rules, but we're going to conduct it -- >> if you ask one more main question, i may have to leave the stage. >> ted cruz from desesmoines, iowa. >> then -- >> look at the cameras. >> donald trump boycotts the fox debate. but will it hurt him at the caucuses? >> will i get more votes? will i get less votes? nobody knows. who the hell knows? we raised over $5 million in one day. >> trump shows up on fox news sunday. and our panel analyzes trump's gamble, the democratic dead heat and hillary clinton's escalating e-mail problem. all right now on a spepeal ededion of "fox news sununy." you are look at the iowa state capital set atop a hill here in
9:01 am
only five dome capital in the country. and hello again from fox news. we're broadcasting today from the rotunda inside the capitol building. and if you're wonldering eringwondering as we dshgs that bell is from the uss iowa. we begin with breaking news. with the first american set to start voting for president tomorrow night, the race here in iowa is still up for grabs. take a look at the final iowa poll from the demoin register. donald trump now leads senator ted cruz by five points with only four candidates in double digits. and check out the movement from the last iowa poll just three weeks ago. trump and marco rubio are up. cruz and dr. ben carson have dropped. on the democratic side, it's still tight between hillary clinton and senator bernie sanders. just three points separating them inside the polls margin of error. in a few minutes, we'll talk with the two frontrunners in the
9:02 am
but first, we have fox team coverage on the final frantic days of campaigning. let's start with fox news chief political correspondent carl cameron who is tracking the republicans. carl? >> hi, chris. a stunning 45% in that des moines register poll say they could still change their minds in the republican caucuses tomomrow night. that has donald trump and rest of the republican field able to take nothing for granted. >>, so jerry, you're my friend for life. >> thank you, don. >> trum was joined by jerry fallwell jr. last flight to bolster his position with con vervetives and for the first time in months, down play his polling lead to get out his vote. >> it all doesn't matter if you don't caucus on monday. the polls don't matter. nothing matters. the only thing that matters is the poll that's going to be taken on monday. >> reporter: trump continues to question cruz's citizenship. likewise, cruz runs attack ads
9:03 am
about his momentum against trump. >> where we are right now this race is a dead heat. it is neck and neck. now it is effectively a two-man race. >> reporter: under fire, cruz fires back with a double barrel. >> a vote for marco rubio is a vote for amnesty. a vote for nald trump is a vote for obamacare. >> reporter: $70 million of television ads have run in iowa, mainly negative. >> it doesn't feel like he's feeling too good. sounds like he's under a lot of pressure and not reacting very well. that is problematic, presidents are under pressure every day. >> reporter: and the pressure is mounting for the caucus tomorrow night. the record turnout is 122,000 people for the republican caucuses in iowa. that was in the last election in 2012. mostst projections and models suggest it will be a bigger turn out, perhaps as much as 160,000. but there is snow predicted tomorrow night, chris.
9:04 am
now to the tight democratic race. just a day before the iowa caucuses, hillary clinton is in full damage control. after the state department revealed they can't release private e-mails because they contain top secret material. ed henry has the latest on the investigation and how it's affecting the campaign. >> good to see you, chris. last may hillary clinton had a 41-point lead in that same bloomberg-"des moines register" poll. she is in a dead heat with the democratic senator bernie sanders. she has an e-mail problem that won't go away. a looming fbi investigation and the obama administration now confirming there were 22 top secret embarrassments on her serveter. on the ground i'm seeing clinton getting far smaller crowds than sanders and to rally the base in the final hours, she's stressing experience, close ties to
9:05 am
getting obama-sized crowds. 3500 screaming students last night at the university of eye ichlt the eye ichlt the question is will sanders get obama-sized turnout from 2008? >> we like progress. that's what i believe in. what we need is a plan and commitment and me, yes. thank you. whether we began the campaign, we were 3% in the national polls. here in iowa, it is virtually tied! >> we are going to make american history on monday night. >> reporter: the surest sign yet that clinton hit a rough patch is the fact that her staff is now negotiating with sanders' staff on adding up to four more democratic debates. that is a far cry from when she
9:06 am
>> ed, thanks for. that we're joined now by texas senator ted cruz who has been locked in a fierce battle for weeks to win the iowa caucuses. senator, welcome back to fox news sunday. >> thank you, chris. let's start with the new des moines register poll three weeks ago. you were beating trump by three points, now you're trailing by five points. how do you explain the eight point swing away from you? >> we're 36 hours away from the iowa caucuses and in a statistical dead heat first place. if you told me ten months ago we were here, he would have been thrilled it with. right now this is all about turnout. this is all about who shows up tomorrow night at 7:00 p.m. and we're focused on if conservatives come out, we'll win wlachlt we're seeing is if the old reagan coalition come together. we're seeing conservatives and evangelicals and libertarians and reagan democrats. faen conservatives come out, we're going to win tomorrow. >> donald trump is hitting you
9:07 am
and here's what he had to say in an interview we did last night. take a look. >> he's got a situation where he didn't disclose goldman sachs. he didn't disclose citi bank. dent dis he didn't disclose to a lot of people he was born in canada. >> between all that and the fact you oppose the very popular ethanol mandate in iowa, are you in danger of losing a conservative state that would seem perfectly made for you and even you admitted that if trump were to win iowa and new hampshire, he might become unstoppable? >> you know, chris, i have to say, donald looks rattled there. a month ago he was singing my praises everywhere. now he is frantic. >> you were singing his praises a month ago. >> i still am.
9:08 am
every day and attacking me. he owes billions of dollars to a company because we put life savings into the senate. he knows that is flat out false. the loans were disclosed. >> what do you mean he owes -- force. >> if you look at his financial disclosure, he owes billions. by the way with, loans whenen heidi and i take loans, we pay them back. donald declared bankruptcy four times. and so for him to sit there oeg hundreds of millions or billions or who knows and to criticize heidi and me for putting our entire net worth into the campaign is astonishing. it is not honest. specially because the loans were disclosed at the time. they were filed on the wrong form. i filed on the senate form
9:09 am
here's the important point. donald is engaging in daily insults. i'm not responding in kind. i have not insulted him. >> you just said he owes half a billion dollars. >> that's not insult, that's a fact. he's attacking me on this loan and he has said, you didn't play that quote, but that i'm corrupt and oenld bywned about it banks. he called me a canadian anchor babey. that's fine. he's entitled to do that. there's a reason he's engaging in personal insults. he doesn't want to talk about the issues. he doesn't want to talk about the substance. the same reason he skipped the iowa debate because his record is inconsistent. >> as you know, we have an interview we did last night. i play that clip of you saying he's trying to hide his record. i want to drill -- >> let's take a second on the record then. let's not just have the insults. let's look at the record. >> all i'm saying is we confront him on that record. >> well, for example, on obamacare, donald trump supports expanding obamacare to make it full on socialized medicine like
9:10 am
you have hillarycare, obamacare and trumpcare. if donald trump selected president, the federal government is in charge of our health care. that's his position right now. it is identical to hillary clinton. >> i want to drill down into cruz care. there is a statement you made about obamacare that got a lot of attention since the debate. here it is. >> we have seen now in six years of obamacare that it's been a disaster. it is the biggest job killer in this country, millions of americans have lost their jobs and have been forced into part time work, have lost their health insurance, have lost their doctors, have seen their premiums skyrocket. >> but senator, the fact checkers say you're wrong. since that law went into effect, the unemployment rate fell from 9.9% to 5%, 13 million new jobs were created and 16.3 million people who were previously uninsured now have coverage. don't get me wrong, there are plenty of problems with obamacare.
9:11 am
health insurance thanan they did before obamacare. >> chris, the media fact checkers are not fair and impartial. they are liberal, editorial journalists. they made it their mission to defend -- >> there's certainly no question that more people have jobs and more people have health insurance. >> yes, there is question. number one, we have the lowest percentage of americans working today dhan any y yar since 1977. that's faktct. >> but there are 13 million jobs created, sir. >> the fact is that from 2008 to today, we've seen economic growth of 1.2% on average. chris, don't interrupt me. i'll give an answer -- >> that's changing the subject. 13 million new jobs created. >> and that is an historically slow rate of job creation if you look at what has occurred in any previous year. obama is the first president ever to have a year of 3% economic growth. millions of people in this country are hurting. one of the problems is you've
9:12 am
elite, the rich have gotten er er under obama. but working men and women are hurting. and i'll tell you, you know, representing texas, one of the things i do whether i go home and smoest small business roundtables. i bring together 20, 30 small business owners and say share what is on your heart. share what you're thinking about and praying about. i have never done a small business table where at least half the small business owners didn't list obamacare as the single biggest obstacle they're facing. millions of americans have lost their jobs and the people have been forced into part time work. or lost their health care or doctors or seen the premiums skyrocket. >> let's talk about your alternative, what you say you would do after you repeal it. debate. sell health insurance across state lines, expand health saving accounts, make insurance
9:13 am
with you if you switch jobs. conservative think-tanks say those are good ideas. they also say they would have no effect in giving people who are now ununsured health coverage. >> well, that's simply not the case. so, for example, the biggest barrierer to access is cost. if you want more people covered, what you want is lower costs. why don't you have health insurance, they say, gosh, i can't afford it. allowing people to purchase health insurance across state lines would create a true 50-state national marketplace. that would driveveown the cost and expand the availability of low cost catastrophic coverage. >> but, sir, the congressional budget office on partisan, the national center for policy analysis certainly not a left wing group have both said that kind of selling insurance across state lines would have minimal effect in expanding access. >> i can't speak to what they can say. what i can tell you is if you want more people to have choices, you want more choices
9:14 am
that's what gives people health insurance. you want fewer choices and higher cost it's you don't want them to have insurance. for example, president obama told the american people that under obamacare the average family's premium was drop $2500. in fafat, the average family's premiums have risen $3,000. now, chris if, you're a single mom, if you're struggling to feed your kids, $5,500 that, is real money that you can't provide for your family. this law is a disaster. as i travel the country, wrefr i go, i talk to people. we had an vent friday night. >> we're running out of time. you guys groed ten minutes. i just want to ask you two more questions. nobody doubts there are problems with obamacare. i just want to explore those >> happy. to. >> one thing that struck me in the debate is that the other sharply. it was more than. that take a look, sir. >> what is particularly
9:15 am
the king of saying oh, you're for amnesty. everybody is for amnesty except for ted cruz. this is the lie that he ran on. he's the most conservative guy and everyone else is a rhino. the truth is, ted, throughout this campaign you've been willing to say or do anything in order to g g votes. >> senator, that's -- you laugh. but that's not the normal political discourse. that seems personal. >> listen, six weeks ago every candidate and republican field was attacking donald trump. today, they're all attacking me. i think that reflects the race has changed. i understand in that debate partst reason donald skipped that debate, part of the reason he was afraid to stand before the men and women of iowa is he didn't want that scrutiny. naturally, everyone else is shooting at me. that's fine. that's their prerogative. i'm not going to respond in kind when, you know, when people engage in those sorts of attacks. i will talk about substance. for example, on the question of amnesty, it is a fact that right now marco rubio advocates
9:16 am
here illegally. he advocates legalization and citizenship for everyone here illegally. he advocates amnesty for criminal who's are here illegally. it is also a fact that marco has said whether went on spanish television that he would not revoke president obama's illegal executive amnesty on the first day in office. he said you can't do that overnight. that will take time f i'm elected president, i will recind every single one of president obama's illegal executive orders on day one. >> we got a minute left. >> sure. >> finally, you and i had a couple of run ins in the debate. one of them was about whether or not you qualified for a 30 second response. let's revisit it. >> the question was about -- it's not my question you get to respond to, it's his answer. i don't get 30 seconds to respond to me. >> your question was -- >> you don't get 30 seconds to respond to me. >> i know you like to argue
9:17 am
to conduct the debate. >> a number of observers thought that you threw yourself off there, that arguing about the rules. do you think that sometimes your lawyery instincts get in the way? you have 30 seconds to respond, sir. >> i was surprised you didn't letetme respond there. i'm happy to respond that r to whatever you like, chris. >> i understood the rules debate. i'm interested in 36 hours from now the men and women of iowa are going to caucus. we have a grassroots army. we have 12,000 volunteers in the state. let me give you an example of what we're seeing on the ground. friday night we were in wilton, iowa. there are 2800 people that live in wilton, iowa, we had 700 turn out. a third of the town came out.
9:18 am
and this race is a simple choice. a vote for marco rubio is a vote for amnesty. a vote for donald trump is a vote for obamacare. the reason conservatives are uniting behind our campaign is because i am the only candidate in the race who has been a consistent conservative and a fiscal conservative, a social could be servetive in national security conservative and the stakes are too high for us to roll the dice and take a risk. >> senator cruz, thank you. thanks for your time.e. i know you're awfully busy in this final day. we'll see how the world turns tomorrow night. >> i look forward it to. >> up next, donald trump and his first fox interview since he boycotted our debate thursday night. that plus a special iowa caucus panel as fox news sunday continues from the state capitol in des moines, iowa. you can't predict... the market. but at t. rowe price, we can help guide your investments through good times and bad. for over 75 years, our clients have relied on us
9:19 am
so in a variety of market conditions... you can feel confident... ...in our experience. call a t. rowe price retirement specialist or your advisor ...to see how we can help make the most of your retirement savings. t. rowe price.
9:20 am
welcome back to iowa. we take a look at the famous arches over the des moines river. the candidate who was soaked up the lion's share of the attention in this campaign kept at it this week. the question of whether donald trump would or wouldn't attend the fox news debate became a kind of soap opera as we all know he didn't which he admits say big gamble just before the caucuses. but last night we spoke with trump in his first fox debate, first fox interview since the debate.
9:21 am
at a campaign event in davenport. mr. trump, welcome back to "fox news sunday." i want to start with that new iowa poll three weeks ago. you were trailing ted cruz by three points. now you're leading by five points. the question for you is how come? >> well, we had a great week and maybe even a great couple of weeks in iowa. we've been here a lot. i have a fantastic relationship with the people of iowa and the evangelicals and the tea party. we really have done a lot of work in iowa and got to know a lot more people. you know, i've known the folks here for a long time. but we really -- there's been some very special things happening over the last two weeks, chris. >> now, 29% of people in the polls say they disapprove of your decision to skip the debate. what do you want to say to voters in these final hours before the caucuses who may feel that you snubbed them by not showing up at the one debate to
9:22 am
>> well, you know, you love fox and so do i. i get along and have a great respect for the voters. but they put out a press release that was very nasty and taunting and it was -- >> wait. wait. i don't want to get into that. i'm just saying what do you want to say to voters who feel that you snubbed them? >> well, what i'm saying is you have to stick up for your rights. in the meantime, i raised $6 million for the veterans which very important. you have to stick up for your rights. you can't let people do that to you. if i were running the country, i'd stick up for our country. you can't do. that frankly, i had a very successful evening. we had a tremendous overflow crowd. and we raised in one hour, chris, which i think you're very happy about for the vets, we raised $6 million. i was very happy about that. it was a great thing. it was a great decision. and we'll do it again sometime, chris. >> ted cruz says the real reason you skipped the debate is because you want to hide your
9:23 am
here's mr. cruz. >> he doesn't want to debate cronyism because donald supported president obama's tarp bail bailout of the big wall street banks. the only thing you have left to do is toss insult. >> senator cruz says mr. trump that you're trying to hide your for the bailout and hide your record from voters. >> chris, i'm not trying to hide anything. i was a businessman. i had many different feelings about many different things. by the way, in business, as you know, you have flexibility. can you do many things many different ways. what i am very sure of is that senator cruz has hid the fact that he had maid major loenz from citi bank and goldman sachs that he didn't put on the personal financial disclosure form. that is called hiding a record. i wasn't in politics whether i was coming up with different views. nobody asked me my views. my views didn't matter. i'm not a politician. now for the last seven months i've been a politician.
9:24 am
he's got a situation where he didn't disclose goldman sachs. he didn't disclose citi bank on his personal financial disclosure form. he didn't disclose to a lot of people the whole thing where he was born in canada which probably makesesit so he might not even be able to run according to many, many constitutional scholars. and he said he didn't even know he was a citizen of canada until 15 months ago. give me a break. he shouldn't be mentioning me. here's a couple things he didn't know he was a citizen of can d.a. give me -- of canada, give me a break, chris. >> you talked about the veterans event you held during the debate and you're proufd it. you raised $6 million including $1 million out of your own pocket. but "forbes" magazine took a look at your record of supporting veterans groups over the years. and what they found is that from 2009 to 2013 the trump foundation donated $57,000 to groopz helping veterans. but over the years, they say
9:25 am
that. between 100,000 to $250,000 to the clinton foundation of all things. >> what i have done is i've given a lot of different events for the veterans. i didn't know you'd be bringing up this. i can get you a list of the events i've been given in palm beach, florida, and hotels i have for the veterans. i opened up my houses. i opened up in a couple of cases my buildings. and we've given many events. i can certainly get that you list and i'd be proud to. what i didn't know is that they'd be using it for private aircraft. the clinton foundation was helping with haiti and lots of other things. i thought it was going to do good work. it didn't make any difference to me. i was my obligation to get along with everybody, including the clintons and democrats and liberals and republicans. as a businessman, i had an
9:26 am
>> we were discussing the poll about your support among the various groups here in iowa. 60% of republican caucus goers identify themselves as evangelicals. you're doing very well with social conservatives. i know that you're campaigning today with jerry fallwell, jr., the president of liberty university who endorsed you. and in a new poll, 52% of white evangelicals said they think you would be a good or great president. and, you know, you don't fit the typical evangelical social conservative proprofile. why do you think you're doing so well with that particular group? >> well, first of all, i'm probably more honored when i hear that statistic than the fact that i'm actually winning the poll by, you know, pretty good number. and i've come back from where i was losing the popo. if you look from a few weeks ago, i think i was down in this poll. now i'm up fairly substantially. i think i may be more honored by
9:27 am
you know, i just had a great relationship. when you have jerry fallwell jr. endorse me, that was a very big turning point. i went to liberty university, gave a speechlt we set the all time record for attendance. and i don't know. i could just tell through is something very special. i'm christian. i'm presbyterian. but there is something very special as far as the evangelicals and my relationship with them. i saw that in the poll numbers that really stood out. and i'm very happy with it. but i think it's also in support of jerry and pastor jeffers. he's been tremendous and so have many other pastors. i mean we've had tremendous support from ministers, pastors and from christians generally and evangelicals. so i'm really happy about it. >> but mr. trump, let's take one issue. you say now that supreme court has ruled, same sex marriage is the law of the land and that any politician who talks about wanting to amend the
9:28 am
politics. are you saying it's time to move on? >> no. i'm saying this. it has been ruled upon. it has been there f i'm a, you know, if i'm elected, i would be very strong in putting certain judges on the bench that i think maybe could change things. they have a long way to go. at some point we have to get back down to business. there's no question about it. they have ruled on it. i wish it was done by the state. i don't like the way they're ruled. i disagree with the supreme court from the instant point that they should have civil rights issues. that's the way it shut be ruled on, chris. i would preferred they rule at a state level and allow the states to makakthe rulings themselves. >> very quickly, sir, you are saying that if you become president you might try to appoint justices to overrule the
9:29 am
>> i would strongly consider that, yes. >> finally, you were campaigning with your daughter who was very pregnant. i think eight months pregnant. and you had a suggestion for how she could help the campaign. here it s. >> it will be so great if you had your baby in iowa! it would be so great. i definitely would win. >> question, you sure mr. trtrmp you don't want her to wait until super tuesday on march 1st where there are a couple states that have even more delegates? >> you know i was kidding. in fact, i was at the event where we raised the money for the veterans. iowa is a great place for her to have a baby and so would new hampshire and so would south carolina. we have about three weeks to worry about it. but they would all be great places for her to have her baby. she's a great person. and hopefully it will be a healthy baby, that's the most important thing.
9:30 am
mr. trump, thank you very much. we'll watch what happens on monday night. we'll see you next week in new hampshire, sir. >> thank you very much. i appreciate it, chris. up next, a special iowa sunday panel including the state's governor terry braninstant. we'll discuss how tomorrow's caucuses may reshape the race for the white house. plus, what would you like to ask the panel about how trump's debate boycott will sit with iowa voters? just go to facebook or twitter
9:31 am
the air. ted xroouzcruz is my friend and he's running a deceitful people see through that. >> after getting elected, promising to lead the fight against amnesty, marco chose to stand with barack obama. >> senators marco rubio and ted cruz getting in a few more jabs before the iowa caucuses. it's time for our special iowa caucus sunday group, fox news sele senior political analyst bret hume, political columnist for "the des moines register." we're honored to have iowa's governor terry brandstat, the longest serving governor in american history, and ann guerin of "the washington post."
9:32 am
for 30 years or. so put together the new iowa poll from your paper, the des moines register. ground? where do you get a sense of the headed tomorrow night? >> i think that we see donald trump with a decent lead going into the iowa caucuses, a five point lead is usually a pretty good indication. however, what makes it exciting is that ted cruz really has a lot going for him in this poll. including the people who are most likely to turn out as very conservative voters, evangelicals. if there is a blizzard, they'll shovel the way to the caucus. and so, you know, he is right. his point to you about turning out conservatives is exactly right. >> governor brandstat, you have made it very clear during this anyone. but you kind of disendorsed somebody because you said that you thought it would be a big
tv-commercial
9:33 am
to support ted cruz because of his opposition to the ethanol mandate. you had nice things to say about donald trump that, he is talking be about effective leadership. the question is for voters wavering between the two frontrunners, cruz and trump, are you saying go with trum snp. >> no, what i'm saying is we have a lot of really great candidates. and most of them support renewable energy. iowa leads the nation in ethanol, biodiesel and wind energy and cruz's voting record is against ethanol. it's been against the tax credit for wind energy. thousand are thousands of jobs in our state. i'm the governor of iowa. i want iowa voters to be well informed. i trust iowa voters. they've elected me many times. and i trust them to make the decision they think of who they think will be the best leader for this country. >> but if it's cruz and anybody, you're saying go for the anybody? >> well, i'm just saying cruz's record has been against
9:34 am
renewable fuels, iowa leads the nation in renewables. we produce more ethanol than we consume in gasoline. we're the leader in wind energy. we just saw the wind energy tax credit extended. cruz is opposed to that. those are thousands of jobs in our state. 43 ethanol plants. people making wind blades and turnin's and towers and we want to protect those jobs. we want to continue to grow the iowa economy. >> i think you've made your point. brit, there are a couple of big stories going into tomorrow night. one is obviously who's going to win? it seems it's likely to be one of the two front runners, trump or cruz. there is also the question of how well marco rubio does. he is a strong third? weak third? does he not even finish third? depending on how the questions are answered, how much could this result, the iowa caucuses reshape the race? >> some of the candidates are going to come out here having done so poorly that if they got some money squirrelled away they
9:35 am
they're not going to be able to continue. they simply have to have money to continue. this is the way it's always been. and i would say this, by the way, about the trump supporters. they don't particularly fit the profile of your iowa caucusgoer. but my sense of their intensity is that they have the most intense people i've ever dealt with. i see them all the time on twitter. they don't care for any criticism of him. my sense is that they will turn out. now some may go the wrong place although, i think they'll be out in force. i don't think anybody should count on a low turnout from the trump people hoping to overtake him. >> when you say the wrong place, you mean because you have to primary. you have to show up at a school gym or a church basement and you have to spend a couple of hours standing up for your person. you have to show up in the right count. we asked you for questions for
9:36 am
we got this on facebook from mel van. this is on trump's decision to boycott the debate. he writes, "i was disappointed in donald and think it could hurt him in iowa. do you agree"? ann, how do you answer mel and do you think trump's decision to hurt him in the caucuses? >> you would think it would. but it really seems to have been a no harm, no foul outcome. he clearly did very, very well in this very predictive, historically predictive poll. and within that poll, our findings that really don't seem to indicate at all that people are penalizing him for having skipped. at the same time, the ratings for the debate were high. it sort of seems to have neutralized on both sides. >> governor, your sense? does the debate boycott, hurt trump? it is something that will effect votes? >> i certainly wouldn't advise anybody to skip a fox debate
9:37 am
>> god bless you, sir. >> but, the fact that he had an event for veterans, he had a huge turnout for that, he's a very unconventional candidate. he's done a lot of things that we thought would hurt him that doesn't seem to have. i guess we'll find out on monday night. i just don't know. >> kathy, just to finish with you. the des moines register poll is interesting. basically, almost 80% of voters either said they approve of the decision to skip or they just didn't care. but there was about 30%, actually my numbers are right, it was 29%. they said they didn't. it didn't bother them. and 29% could be a factor in a close race. >> 29% said it bothered them and 25% said it helped him. we got about a 4% there where, you know, where the difference is. and it's that 4% going to be a difference in caucus night? you know, maybe if the debate were last night, it might be right on the top of people's thinking.
9:38 am
was there and was exposed to a lot of tough attacks as well. so, you know, i think overall, good for trump. >> all right. good for trump. interesting. panel, we have to take a break here. when we come back, we'll turn to the democratic race in iowa and growing problems for the clinton campaign. the e-mail scandal steals the headlines. announcer: a horrific terror attack in paris. then, a brutal act of terror here at home. it's time for a tested and proven leader
9:39 am
jeb bush has a plan... to destroy them. and keep america safe. jeb bush: the united states should not delay in leading a global coalition to take out isis with overwhelming force. announcer: tested and proven leadership matters. jeb bush. right to rise usa is responsible
9:40 am
and senator sanders wants to start all over again. honestly, it's been a hard fight to get us to where we are today. >> it is great to be against the war after you vote for the war. >> the rhetoric on the democratic side getting down right nasty in these final days before the iowa caucuses. if you wonder why we never have the democratic candidates on, here's the answer.
9:41 am
bernie sanders every week. and every week they turn us down. the sanders camp declines politely. top officials in the clinton camp don't even answer our calls and e-mails. we're back now with the panel. ann, you've been tracking the democratic race here factoring in this new poll that shows clinton with, what, a three point lead over sanders. obviously within the margin of error. your sense of where things are headed tomorrow night? >> well, she's actually been slightly ahead in most recent polls. often within the margin of error. but enough ahead, a few points, that it looks as though if unless something really strange happens with turnout or whether that she will just squeak by. that appears to be the most likely outcome. just squeaking by is certainly not where she was here only two months ago. certainly not where she wants to be.
9:42 am
claiming momentum out of "the des moines register" poll and presuming he does very, very well here, just not well enough to beat her, they'll claim that hampshire. >> we want to pick up with kathy but first i want to ask you, governor, the breaking news on the democratic side has been the fact that the obama administration announced that they can't release dozens of pages of clinton private e-mails because they are too sensitive. here is an administration spokesman. >> seven e-mail chains found in 22 documents representing 37 pages. the documents are upgraded at the request of the intelligence community because they contain a category of top secret information. >> governor, i know you're not following this intensely. but your reaction to the clinton e-mail scandal and your sense of how it's going to sit with iowa voters? >> well, putting your own convenience above the security for the nation, i don't think it
tv-commercial
9:43 am
even among democrats, a lot of people really question her integrity, her trustworthiness. i think in the general election it could be a big issue if she ends up being the democratic nominee. she doesn't have a lot of people that believe or trust her. they believe that she and her husband have always thought they were above the law and didn't have to abide by the rules the rest of us have to. so i think it's a problem. >> kathy, you heard what ann just said which is -- this isn't a prediction but a read right snou that clinton squeaks by. based on your read on the ground, the latest poll, the ground games, the size of the crowds, what's your read on what happens in the democratic race? what is the possibility that this could be a repeat of 2008? although in this case, clinton wouldn't get beat by a charismatic young barack obama but by a 74-year-old socialist. >> you know, there are parallels to 2008 because bernie sanders
tv-commercial
9:44 am
supporting him that barack obama did, first time caucus goers. independents, people that have not been a huge part of the political democratic process before. and, however, here's a big difference. in 2008, we saw first timers coming out in record numbers. this poll has really about 40% first timers and that is about average. so we're not seeing a huge surge. we're not seeing that sort of bill to a record turnout. now that could change in a very short period of time. >> there is one number in that iowa poll that would give you a sense of why bernie sanders is doing as well as he is and why he just might benefit from a last minute surge is the one moment people are asked if our system in america, economic system is rigged and screws the little guy. and the republican poll, 50%
9:45 am
worked, that system is good. 67% of democrats said the system is rigged. a tiny number said it is fair. that is the soul of bernie sanders' message, the capitalist system is rigged and the billionaire class is a bunch of pirates and the little guy is getting extrude. and a sentiment that strong, that counts for his success. >> one interesting point about that. that characterizes donald trump supporters more than anybody else. all republicans, dem graphics say the system is working fine except pretty much for donald trump supporters. >> i just want to go big picture. give us 30,000 front view of this, clinton-sanders, fbi investigation. and there were big revelation this is week about the e-mail that's are too secret to be released at all. the possibility that a new mainstream big name democrat could still get in this race.
9:46 am
race really gets up ended? >> if something happens that makes us think she is seriously likely to be indict order is indicted, obviously that would change everything. who knows what would happen on the democratic side. there are lots of variables out there. i would say that bernie sanders, if he does respectbly well here and if he doesn't win moves on huge lead. if he wins there, it will be big headlines everywhere. that could shake up the races and head south. it is supposed to be a great south. i'm not sure that will be true. there are a lot of variable onz the democratic side that -- that would unfold as we go forward here. >> ann, i cut you off. >> no, i was going to say that economic populism point that the deck is stacked and things rigged against the little guy is a theme that hillary clinton tried to strike and sort of potentially he could opt first from elizabeth warren and then from bernie sanders whether he became -- >> it's hard to make that case
9:47 am
>> apparently it hasn't really taken. it's an applause line in the room and resonates in the moment. but people xiptlyconsistently say sanders is the one that speaks to them on that point. >> now in brooklyn where the clinton campaign headquarters is based, they say, look, even if sanders wins iowa, even if sanders wins new hampshire, we got the fire wall and they go down south. do they really believe that? do they think this could up end everything where sanders could run the first two states? >> they believe it but they don't want to test it. who would? it's clearly, you know, statistically she's got a lot of things going for her in south carolina and in nevada, too. which vote next. and then the southern states. that could change. left. i know they play it down publicly. but behind the scenes, ann, your best sense of how worried they
9:48 am
investigation. >> worried. because it's a giant unknown. no one within the clinton organization can absolutely know for sure where this is going. and that's the last thing you want is a giant unknown hanging over you. >> thank you all. it's been a pleasure talking with you. we'll see you next week in new hampshire. i assume governor brandstat you have better things to do with your time. >> i'm going to be right here in iowa work forg the people of this state. >> you're always welcome, however. it's an open invitation. >> in the campaign for the ages, this may have been the wildest week yet.
9:49 am
moines. your path to retirement... may not always be clear. but at t. rowe price, we can help guide your retirement savings. for over 75 years, investors have relied on our disciplined approach to find long term value. so wherever your retirement journey takes you, we can help you reach your goals. call a t. rowe price
9:50 am
or your advisor ...to see how we can help make the most of your retirement savings. t. rowe price. invest with confidence. the view from above des moines with a good look at the polk county courthouse. just think about this week, a presidential debate, the front-runner boycotts and serious new allegations against the top candidate in the other race. it may have been the strange et week yet on the trail. >> most likely i won't be doing the debate. >> if she asks him mean questions, i mean, his hair might stand on end. >> when you were governor -- >> i am governor. what do you mean was?
9:51 am
republican presidential debate. >> let me say i'm a maniac. now that we got the donald trump portion out of the way -- >> look at all the cameras like the academy awards. we're actually told we have more cameras than they do by quite a bit. >> marco made the choice to go the direction of the major donors to support amnesty because he thought it was politically advantageous. >> you helped design george w. bush's immigration policy. then in the committee you said i want to bring people out of the shadows. now you want to trump trump on immigration. >> last i was in iowa, i enjoy getting up on that stage. >> next cycle i'm told lady gaga is going to run. >> i don't know who is more dangerous to the country, donald trump or bernie sanders. tonight. she is raising money from a philadelphia investment firm. >> boo! >> stand up for me on monday night and if you do, i will
9:52 am
the next four years! >> hi there. how are you? >> come on. canada. but canada doesn't accept anchor >> donald trump thought i was the nicest guy on earth. now i wake up every day and take up twitter to see the latest insults. >> i have a fire problem. well, we may have a bigger story than the politics by the time this is over. >> it is incredible. >> yes, there was one more surprise when a fire alarm went off in the middle of our interview with donald trump. all of this and we still haven't gotten to the first votes. but all that changes tomorrow night. be sure to tune into fox news channel at 6:00 p.m. eastern for caucuses.
9:53 am
trippy and i will reunite as the campaign cowboys give you an early read when the first results start coming in from key presifrpgts. that's it for today. have a great week and we'll see you next "fox news sunday" live
9:54 am
from manchester, new hampshire. [captioning performed by the naonal captioning institute, which is responsible for its caption content and accuracy.
9:55 am
sharyl: hello, i'm sharyl
9:56 am
9:57 am
9:58 am
9:59 am

44 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on